Monday, July 25, 2016

A Dictionary of Americanisms



A Dictionary of Americanisms
1951 The University of Chicago Press
Edited by Mitford M. Mathews
used $9.98 for the set










I found this two volume delight at the Last Exit Book Store in Kent, Ohio. I am a huge fanboy for interesting reference books. Now that I have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, my next biblioconquest would have to be the Dictionary of American Regional English. Quite out of my price range and very obscure, unless someone knows about a Library sale I haven't heard of...
At any rate, this might be the next best thing.  It was modeled along the lines of the OED, but it contains only words and expressions that are truly American. Many are Native American words, loan words, cool-ass old timey Yankee Malaprops, and all kinds of Great Stuff! Here's an example:
Corduroy



I love leafing through these books, and I find something new every time. Currently Volume 1 is on my dictionary stand.
Quite honestly, I may never run across this gem ever again, and that's why I had to have it. If you'd like to see them, send me a message and buy me a cup of coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment