Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Ghost Songs

Regina McBride
Tin House Books
2016

“I am subject to enchantments.”

I received an Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book in exchange for writing an honest review.

Regina sees the ghosts of her father, and other more terrible things, after he and her mother both commit suicide.

“They’re horrific, these things”... “Not like the strange, gentle ghost of my father.”

The author traces her early life through short vignettes of joy and heartbreak.
It reveals a grim portrait of a second generation Irish immigrant family. They must deal with the disappointment and guilt of losing the American Dream. The family moves to a place that is totally alien to their temperament, and they then turn toward bitterness and madness.
Having been raised Roman Catholic, I understand Catholic guilt, it is a powerful and terrible thing. It stays with you your whole life.

[suicide]”Anyone who does such a thing removes himself from the grace of God

I initially had some difficulty following the story as she jumps back and forth through the first twenty years of her life. We see her triumphs, happiness and her family's slow decent into madness. But, the style becomes a jarring Kaleidoscope of memories that draws you in.

I read the first part when I first received the ARC. I really wanted to find out how her parents died. But, I put it down, to finish a biograph of George Orwell.
When I picked it back up I was immediately sucked back in. I finished all but the last five pages in one evening.
I became interested in this woman’s life, entranced and concerned. While we don’t see a moment where all is resolved, that’s why this is a memoir, and not fiction. I would certainly recommend this book to someone who enjoys memoirs, and even those willing to try.
Perhaps a quote that I read sums up my feelings on memoirs, “None of it happened and all of it’s true”
I enjoyed this book very much!
You can purchase a copy here or here.

No comments:

Post a Comment